Spicy Sweet Potato Black Bean Empanadas with HOPE Spicy Pepper Cashew & Almond Dip
Plan for: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings
- 2 TBSP HOPE Spicy Pepper Cashew & Almond Dip
- 1 C Sweet Potato, cooked and mashed
- ½ C Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ C of shredded Monterey Jack or Cotija cheese (optional)
- salt + pepper, to taste
- For the dough: use your favorite dough recipe or buy pre-made empanada rounds at your local Mexican grocery!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- For the filling—In a bowl, add 2 TBSP of HOPE Cashew & Almond Dip to the cooked and mashed sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl add the black beans and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix to incorporate.
- To make the empanadas: Lightly moisten the outer edge of each dough round. Fill with 1 TBSP of sweet potato and 1 TBSP of black bean mixture *for 2 total TBSP of filling. Fold in half and crimp edges with a fork or use your fingers to create a more stylized edge.
- Place empanadas on a prepared baking sheet. Brush with egg wash. Bake until golden, about 20-25 min.
- To serve: garnish with fresh herbs and a drizzle of HOPE Spicy Pepper Cashew & Almond Dip! Delicious!