Instant Pot French Onion Soup, Vegan + Dairy-free
Plan for: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
3 TBSP Vegan Butter (can substitute butter)
1 TBSP HOPE French Onion Cashew & Almond Dip
6 lg Sweet Onions, cut in half, peeled, and thinly sliced
1 Shallot, thinly sliced
3-4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
1- 1 ¼ tsp of salt
½ tsp black pepper
¾ C white wine
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 Tbsp Coconut aminos
1 Quart Vegetable Stock
1 Bay leaf
French Bread, toasted, cut into ½ in thick rounds
HOPE French Onion Cashew & Almond Dip
Dairy-Free Cheese (we used Miyoko’s Mozzarella), can sub regular mozzarella
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Allow the pot to warm, then add the vegan butter and HOPE French Onion Cashew & Almond Dip. Once the butter begins to melt, add the sliced onion, shallots, and garlic, salt and pepper. Stir, allowing the butter and HOPE dip to coat the onion mixture. Cook the onions down until they begin to soften and brown a bit, about 10-15 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add the white wine, deglazing the pot. Scrape any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Allow wine to reduce slightly (2-3 min). Next add the vegetable stock, balsamic vinegar, coconut aminos, and bay leaf.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid in it’s sealing position and select 20 min, manual setting, at high pressure.
Once the cook time ends, switch to the venting position and let the steam release the pressure (quick release) and open the lid
- To make the topping— set oven to BROIL setting, spread the toasted bread with a thin layer of HOPE French Onion Cashew & Almond Dip, ladle soup into individual oven-safe bowls, on a lined baking sheet—top soup with toasts, a generous amount of dairy-free cheese, and a few sprigs of thyme, Broil for 4-5 min until starts to bubble and brown (*diary-free cheese may not brown)
- Enjoy this comfort food classic!!