School Lunch Idea: Kids Sushi with HOPE Hummus
Plan for: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 serving
1.5 C Rice, sushi or rice of choice
2-3 tbsp HOPE Original Hummus, or to taste
Various vegetables, sliced into long thin strips or sticks, we used, cucumber, carrots, avocado and mango
1 large tortilla
- Cook rice as directed.
- Let sushi rice cool. As it is cooling, slice the veggies into long strips.
- On a bamboo mat or flat cutting board with a layer of cling wrap on top: lay the tortilla down flat and, press rice in an even layer on top, add the hummus and spread an even layer on top of the rice (can also mix the hummus into the rice before spreading for a sticky rice that holds nicely)
- Add desired veggies to one side of of the rice mixture leaving a bit of space along the edge.
- Start to roll, using the mat and cling wrap to bring the rice towards you as you form the roll. Work slowly if you need to making sure the rice and veggies are gradually incorporated.
- Once you have formed a nice log shape, place the roll in the refrigerator for 5-10 min (optional—this makes the roll easier to cut). When you are ready, remove the cling wrap and cut the roll with a very sharp knife into 8-10 pieces.
- Serve with additional hummus or dipping sauce! Pack in a lunchbox with kid-friendly chopsticks and desired sides. So fun!!