After our last blog post, we talked about hummus being a healthy dipping sauce for veggies, and why it’s definitely the best in the supermarket. Some of you dear readers wanted to know why. So here we will explain what makes one of the world’s most delicious, healthy dips so good for you.
After all, hummus is so much more than just a healthy dip for carrots and celery. Packed with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients your body needs, hummus is widely regarded as a superfood in and of itself! Of course that doesn’t mean it’s not a great dip for carrot sticks, because it certainly is… just that when it comes to hummus’ amazing properties, being a healthy dip for vegetable sticks is just the beginning!
What Makes Hummus So Healthy?
For starters, the ingredients in hummus are super simple. With just four basic ingredients, all of which are healthy on their own, hummus has nothing to hide. Here’s a quick breakdown of the essential components and their nutritional benefits, so you can see for yourself why hummus beats out other cold dips for vegetables:
- Garbanzo Beans – Also called chickpeas, garbanzo beans are a super healthy foundation for any meal. A quick study of garbanzos’ nutritional values shows that they are high in muscle-building protein and dietary fiber, which are prime ingredients in healthy dips and spreads. Not only that, garbanzos are chock full of healthy vitamins and minerals, including calcium, magnesium, iron, manganese, folate, copper, phosphorus, and zinc.
- HEALTH BENEFITS: improved bone and hearth health, lowers blood pressure and cholesterol, improves digestion and regularity, and reduces risk of diabetes and high cholesterol.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) – WARNING: Not all hummus brands contain EVOO, so check your label! Only the best healthy dips for vegetables use EVOO, which is one of the healthiest sources of Omega-3 fatty acids in the world. Don’t fall for the “regular olive oil” and “canola oil” trap!
- HEALTH BENEFITS: reduces risk of heart disease, promotes fetal health in pregnant women, fights inflammation and autoimmune disease, and improves health of bones, joints, and skin.
- Tahini – A paste made from ground sesame seeds, tahini is full of all the nutrients that make sesame seeds so healthy. These amazing nutrients are part of what makes hummus such a healthy dipping sauce for vegetables—and they include complex carbs and protein, thiamin, iron, phosphorus, and copper.
- HEALTH BENEFITS: regulates blood pressure and cholesterol, balances hormones, boosts nutrient absorption, and improves skin health.
- Lemon Juice – Everyone knows lemons are full of vitamin C, so we know that’s good for you! However, you may not know that lemons also contain vitamins, B6, A, and E, as well as folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, zinc, niacin, and riboflavin. In addition, all citrus fruits contain citric acid, a mild acid that actually boosts your health in a few unexpected ways.
- HEALTH BENEFITS: reduces risk of kidney stones, regulates body pH, protects against disease and inflammatory disorders, and can prevent weight gain.
Hummus: The King of Healthy Dips and Spreads
Like we said, hummus ain’t just a healthy dip for carrots! It’s also a healthy dip for celery. And broccoli. And jicama. And chips. And wraps. And anything else you can possibly think of. With these amazing superfood ingredients and health benefits, hummus definitely tops the list of healthy things to dip veggies in.
Just make sure your hummus is USDA Certified Organic for healthy non-GMO ingredients, High Pressure Processed to avoid synthetic preservatives, and full of only extra virgin olive oil instead of cheap substitutes. Like HOPE Hummus. We make the best hummus available, with the highest quality ingredients, so you don’t have to worry if our hummus is a healthy dip for carrots.