Vegan Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
Yield: 20 servings
8 oz. Hope Foods Sriracha Hummus
20 strips Rice Paper Bacon
10 Jalapeños, halved (seeds removed)
8 sheets of Rice Paper, white or brown
2 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire
2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
½ tbsp Maple Syrup
2 tsp Liquid Smoke
Salt & Pepper, to taste
FOR THE RICE PAPER BACON:
- Double layer rice paper wet, place on nonstick surface.
- Coat with marinade in between sheets.
- Once softened, use a sharp knife and cut into strips. Pressing down and then dragging the knife for a clean cut.
- Holding each end of the strip, dunk it into the marinade and use your thumb and pointer finger to remove the excess. Dunk and repeat. When wiping off the excess, stay to one side to replicate a line of “fat”. Keeping one side of the strip more saturated gives it a chewier texture and the other side stays crispy. If you want an even chewier texture, flip over one side of the rice paper so it’s overlapping by ¼ inch.
- Bake at 375 F for 12-14 minutes on the center rack. Watch carefully, they burn easily. Feel free to sprinkle with salt or nutritional yeast for even more flavor and texture.
- Remove from oven and cool for 1-2 minutes before serving.
FOR THE JALAPEÑO POPPERS:
- Halve jalapeños, remove seeds and the center. You can also remove the stem, but I left it on.
- Fill with Hope Foods Sriracha Hummus.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Wrap with rice paper bacon, cut into thinner strips. About half the usual width.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, finish with a broil for 1-2 minutes. Watch carefully, they burn easily.
- Remove and let cool for 2-3 minutes before eating. Serve with ranch and enjoy!