Spicy Vegan Hummus Cornbread
Plan for: 35-40 minutes
Yield: 24 servings
1/2 cup dairy-free butter alternative
2/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 1/2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup water
1 cup of HOPE Red Pepper Hummus
1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan. Set it aside for now.
- In a large bowl, beat the dairy-free butter alternative and sugar together until smooth.3.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and cayenne pepper). Stir them together.
- In a large liquid measuring cup, combine the wet ingredients (water and hummus). Stir them together until the hummus is no longer clumpy, and blends itself into the water.
- Pour 1/3 of the dry mixture into the large bowl. Stir until it’s just mixed. Then add 1/3 of the wet mixture. Stir until it’s just mixed. Repeat until all the dry and wet ingredients are added to the batter.
- Stir in the corn kernels, but do not over-mix the batter. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake the cornbread in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cornbread from the oven. Let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes before you cut into it.